Friday, November 20, 2009

Karma points

Today I begin my volunteering at The Coachella Valley Animal Rescue Center. Last week when I went online to check out all the animal shelters in the desert, I saw that The Orphan Pet Oasis has a whole page dedicated to there volunteers. The page shows a bunch of happy people walking the dogs, smiling, holding the little ones. It was like a beautiful harmonious world where animals and humans unite. A world with no discrimination, no violence, like heaven on earth. So I got the idea to volunteer at the Coachella Center and when I spoke with the owner, she asked me if I was available to start tomorrow (today) and without thinking I said yes. She looked surprised and really excited and told me she hasnt had a break in a long time and had some errands to run. She said she is all alone on Fridays until 12:00 and could really use me. I asked her about the other volunteers ( you know, like at the Orphan pet oasis) she said I will be the only one. So, I get the feeling she wants me to stay there all day, every Friday. To be honest, I really dont want to commit to that. I love animals, but playing with them every other Friday for an hour or two seems mighty generous, but anything more than that???? Since last night, I have been repeating this little Mantra: I WILL NOT ALLOW MYSELF TO AGREE TO DO MORE THAN 2 FRIDAYS A MONTH, I AM STRONG, I WILL NOT BE STEAMROLLED. She seems a little aggressive and I have a tendency to not always stand up for myself (my therapist says I need to exercise healthy boundries, but I didnt stay in therapy long enough to learn how) So today will be interesting, I am off to my little k-9 utopia to bond with the animals.

2 comments:

amy said...

Wow Steph...way to take one for the team.

Are you forgetting one small detail? You're way, totally, f'n allergic to most animals.

Steph said...

Oh yeah, I lasted an hour and a half. I left with my right eye swollen shut, wheezing, smelling like dog crap:) Hey I tried.