Saturday, January 14, 2012

Enjoy the silence



While everyone was still sleeping and the sun was just coming up, I enjoyed my morning ritual of Starbucks and reading the paper while parked on the side of the street. I drove a tiny bit further down the road this time. I wanted to explore the scenery. I didn't just want to sit in my car. At the end of Dana Point and the beginning of Laguna Beach is a pathway that over looks the ocean. The path includes signs indicating what plant life is around, and every so often, as you travel further down, there is a bench. I sat on the one half way down freezing, but wasn't ready to leave. I just sat. How often do we stop and listen to the sounds of nature around us? When do you just sit still, and slow down, and take in all of the surroundings. I felt the breeze and heard the crash of the waves in the distance. I noticed birds chirping, and just sat. Maybe this is why people like to go camping. I sat for an hour and took it all in, and savored each minute. This must be what the Buddhists call "living mindfully" I wasn't thinking about later on, or work, or money (or lack thereof) I was just sitting still, in the moment. What a beautiful world we live in.





1 comment:

Eliz said...

I wish I could not work and still have money and come hang at the beach with you